Wednesday 7 March 2012

GOATS 'n' CRABS

Who can see the goat kids play
Running and leaping for glee all day
And not feel a little younger too,
Frolicking like the goat kids do?




This page is for Rachel who wanted to see an exposé on goats and crabs. 

Unfortunately, as soon as I started working on this the goats disappeared. 
They seemed to have all had their babies and have taken off to greener hillsides.  They'll be back. They're reliable that way.

Meanwhile, the Hermit Crabs are still around, going like gang-busters. With a steady diet of high carbs (they seem to love pasta and bread) and new shells, 
they're having a major growth spurt. This has been the best year for my Crab Farm.


I'm Too Sexy For My Shell


This Bubba has shed his skin. The bright red is the newly invented crabby. Oo La La! Am I too bee-yoo-tee-ful?  He will darken in time. Right now they're all looking spiffy in their new colorful togs. I think this guy has an atty-tood problem. Maybe some anger management classes are in order.

Positive is how we live on the Crab Farm.



Me Love Bread! More bread!
 


Cocktail Hour


They just spent a week putting away a pound of spaghetti. I had old pasta that I soaked over night then left out for them. In 4 days it was gone. Now the Triscuits are a hit! Garden Herb flavor (yuk) and left over avo-CAH-do, Darling.
How about a little cheese with that whine?


To get shells I go out onto the spit off Lagoon Pt. It's a strange place of dead coral and sand, snails, crabs, sand insects, boating trash, plants. I've got George collecting shells too. He's properly attired in hat and clip on plastic bag.



The Whelk fishermen don't care about the shells or the creatures that use them. They take the snail to eat and destroy the shell.

And now for some riveting high action crab shell swopping! 



 







How did this guy get so out on a limb! Don't do it, man!




 Here's The GREAT SWOP! A decisive shell change then he grabs his old shell and hangs onto it. Well, can't a crab change his mind? If he can't have it, no one can.



Hey, more goats!


Time to sing along.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRo0NlLYvwE&feature=related


To see the Great Swap on YouTube go to this link:

http://youtu.be/P8aT3GFD5xw

2 comments:

  1. LOL Oh my thanks mom I loved it :D. That is indeed a great looking goat, I'd lead him around all the time, specially the babies if they had any. And man all those hermit grabs. I'm glad the ones in the video that had holes in their shells changed out. I think u should go back and find the ones with the holes near the coiled bit and remove them. Since in the video you could see the crabs soft muscley bit. And it is a shame that those snail eater fisherman guys destroy the shells after taking the snails. But over all I liked this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rach! You are the inspiration. I'll call them "grabs" from now on because of your typo. Totally appropriate.
      I do remove the shells with holes and any bad shells that are changed out.
      I hope you sang "Lonely Goatherd"!

      Delete