Wednesday 15 February 2012

A Little Story about an Unexpected Thing

This, Friend, is grocery day., Remember, it's a minimum of hitting two stores and time is of the essence, you have to get your perishables back before they spoil. Ready, set.... GO! It's an education to learn the many changes organic matter will go through after having been exposed to heat. Sometimes not even noticeable till later. But I digress....

Off to Starfish Market (a new shipment of cheese!) and Dolphin (cocktail meatballs for the Friday party!). 
But first, driving into town we pick up an older West Indian woman waiting for the bus, the bus that would probably never come and this had occurred to her. She was standing on the corner in Coral Bay wearing pumps and a white dress, holding a small black and white checked handbag. But don't let the rheumy eyes fool you, she stuck her hand out and almost grabbed the door handle. She explained she was afraid of missing the noon ferry to St. Thomas , it being 11.30 and she'd worked herself into a right tizzy! Many West Indians, particularly the older generations, get anxious over little things like being away from home a long time, rain, the dark, driving, the unknown and unexpected. Not that I want to stereotype or generalize, just an observation.
 
Cruz Bay, the main town on STJ, is made up of winding, narrow one way streets. Parking is limited, everyone does what they want. I'd intended to pull up in front of the intersection by the ferry and she could just pop off. As it is, it's likely nothing happens quickly or as you intend here. There is to be no "popping off" when she can't get out of the car. Traffic started to back up. By "traffic" I mean 2 cars and 2 tourists , maybe a chicken. I think everyone understood the situation and would have waited with island patience.

Unfortunately , not so true for the cop in the Kevlar.

 "HEY! YOU cannot stop traffic like this!"
  I apologized. "I'm sorry." Error.
 "Oh so you're SORRY? You'll be sorry when you get a citation!" 

 I again, apologized in all gravity, this usually works in most cases. My brain is ticking away now, I'm thinking jail time, I'm thinking don't say a word even as I said,
" I won't do it again". Error.
" OH???? You can BET you won't be doing it again!" she answered, at which point  and to my huge relief, she turned away. Maybe the beat up Wrangler had a lot to do with it (no tourist money to be had here), maybe she was distracted by the taxi driver pulling up. The day could have ended very differently and I'd still be filling out papers, trying to find a lawyer, while George goes to get the cash. She had to have the last word too, that I finally understood. I heard her saying (as I nearly peeled out) "Next time go AROUND!"

Later thinking about this, I was a little unnerved because really, are we used to having  an angry person in uniform with a gun and nightstick who looks more like they're ready to take on an uprising, yelling at us seemingly over nothing?  These people have nothing better to do! They sure aren't out arresting the real criminals, because they're related to them.  She seemed to be looking for a fight, and she could have been baiting me hoping I would try to explain or answer back which would get me in deeper doo and give her the reason she wanted to do whatever she hoped she was going to do. Or maybe it's very simple; she was just a bully. I get both versions. 
Nothing to take away from something like this, just one of those things you didn't think would happen. It's already the past. Shiver.


The Year is Young



No comments:

Post a Comment